Using Broccoli and Cauliflower Stalks



Using Broccoli and Cauliflower Stalks
Broccoli and cauliflower stalks for that matter are one part of these amazing vegetables that tend to in more cases than not, be thrown out. This is such a waste of a valuable vegetable resource

Being of a very frugal nature I have always used as much of every vegetable as is humanly possible.

With the stalks I generally strip away the tough outer layer ad chop or slice the tender inner part. These then can be boiled or steamed and served as a separate vegetable. If boiling which I do tend to prefer as it allows me to utilise not only the stalks but also the liquid as well.

This liquid is packed full of goodness and nutrition and again should never be thrown away. Simply remove the vegetables and thicken with a little cornflour or cornstarch. Cook out for a couple of minutes so that the sauce thickens and then add the cooked stalks back to the now thickened liquid.

You can do this with any vegetables such as turnips, Rutabaga, carrots, peas etc. It gives a new dimension to the vegetables and also allows you to utilise the cooking liquid also.

If you are not keen on thickening the cooking liquid then keep the liquid for making soups or adding as the liquid content to stews and casseroles. This can be kept in the fridge for a day or two or frozen to use at a later time.

So many people do not realise that they are throwing away the most important nutritional part of the vegetables when they pour that very valuable liquid down the drain.

Here are some Ideas that I had sent to me today to give you other ideas on how to utilise those Broccoli stalks and remember that cauliflower stalks can be used in the very same ways.

I have included the site source so that you can go and visit and see what other excellent articles there are of interest to you there.

Please do share any hints and tips that you may have for saving money and utilising every part of the food that you cook in the Comments section below. Your tips and hints can make a difference to someone else and allow them to learn how to be frugal and save money.

7 Ways to Use Broccoli Stalks
Welcome back to Healy Eats Real! For FREE recipes, updates and articles subscribe to my newsletter!
Apparently many people just throw away the broccoli stalks, but there are so many good uses for them! I’ve come up with at least 7 ways to use broccoli stalks and there’s probably more than that. Be sure to share any uses for broccoli stalks that you’ve thought of in the comments section!
First, let me clarify what I mean by “broccoli stalks”:
  • There is the the whole bottom part or “trunk” of the broccoli “tree” so to speak.
  • Then, there’s the tough outer layer of that “trunk” that you can slice off with a peeler or paring knife to reveal the tender inner section.
When I cook broccoli, I always include that tender inner section so as to not waste it (it’s perfectly good broccoli!). But then there’s still that rough outer layer left over.
This list will include uses for both the whole stalk (the trunk of the broccoli tree) and the tough outer layer of the stalk.
1. Cut off tough outer layer and cook the inner section
I mentioned this in the intro. I always do this when cooking broccoli so as to not waste any of it.
Use a paring knife (like this) or a peeler to take off the tough outer layer of the stalk. Chop up the inner part and cook it as you would cook the florets. I usually steam them.
2. Compost
If you have a garden or a farm composting is a great way to turn your food scraps into fertilizer. Use your food to make more food! Now that’s what I call sustainable! Composting can be really easy with products like this compost tumbler.
Some cities like San Francisco have a compost program that goes along with the garbage collection program, so even if you don’t have a garden or farm, you can still put your food scraps into the compost bin and it will be collected and used for a farm.
3. Make broth
Use the tough outer layer of the stalk for broth. I have a container of veggie scraps that I save in my freezer. Every time I make broccoli, I add the tough parts of the stalk to this container along with other veggie bits like the ends of carrots, kale stalks, cauliflower stalks, etc. When the container is full I use it to make a big batch of vegetable broth. Of course, I only use organic vegetables for broth. I wouldn’t want to create a broth full of pesticide residue!
Check out my recipe for vegetable broth from vegetable scraps!
4. Slice them very thinly and saute or add to casseroles or frittatas
Since the stalk is tough it can be hard to steam large chunks of it, but if you take care to slice or chop it very finely and cook it a little longer, you can saute it with a stir-fry or add it to casseroles or frittatas.
5. Feed them to your Dog (in limited amounts)
I often give my dog broccoli stalk bits. Since it’s tough, it’s a fun thing for her to chew on…almost like a rawhide bone! I give my dog a little bit of broccoli just about every time I make it and now when I get out the cutting board and start chopping a vegetable, she runs into the kitchen thinking that she’ll get a broccoli stalk.
If you’ve never given your dog raw broccoli before, start out with just a little bit and see how they react. Broccoli should be fine for dogs in small amounts, but it’s always best to see how they do with a little bit first. As with other animals, make sure to not give your dog too much as it could potentially cause digestive upset.
6. Soup
Use several full broccoli stalks to make a pureed soup. Chop up the stalks and cook it with broth, any other vegetables you want (like onions or garlic) and seasonings, then puree with a hand blender. Add cream if you want cream of broccoli soup. Check out my broccoli soup recipe here!
Want more tasty gluten-free vegetarian recipes? Check out my ebook Gluten-Free Vegetarian here!
7. Chicken or Goat Feed (in limited amounts)
Many people have backyard chickens or goats for the eggs and goat milk. Broccoli stalks are a great supplement to their diet. Of course, it shouldn’t be the only thing they’re eating, but it’s a good way to make use of it! Make sure to not give them too much as large amounts could potentially cause digestive upset.
How do you use broccoli stalks?



Comments

Popular Posts