A Tribute to a Dear Friend



Today, October 21st is our dear friend Rusty’s fourth anniversary of his passing. As the 21st comes to me a day earlier than it does for you, my tribute to him was will that much sooner. Today, four years ago, was his last day as he silently passed away from this world alone.
I thought that the best way we could honour Rusty on this day was to do something he would have really loved to have be a part of, and that is to have a huge feast with every one of his friends gathered together in one place. I know in life this was something that Rusty had longed to happen but sadly was not to be.
Now as this is not possible to happen in a physical sense I thought it would be really nice to hold this event in the place where Rusty loved to be and visit with us all – within our hearts as no matter where we are or what we are doing there is always a place in our hearts for our dear friend.
To make this a little more real for us I would like to paint a picture if you like, of our meeting place. . It is spring here so please bear with me on this.
The sun is shining and it is a glorious spring day without a single cloud in the sky to be seen. We are all gathering in a huge meadow at the base of the mountains that Rusty loved so much. The meadows are alive with blossoming wildflowers. Butterflies ad bees are fluttering ad buzzing around gathering pollen and the elk are calling in the far off distance.
In the centre of the meadow are many tables covered with crisp white linen table clothes. Each chair is draped with a white linen cover and in gold are embroidered each of our names.
At the head of the table is a chair reserved just for Rusty. This chair has arms for him to rest his arms on while he tells us stories of past. Rusty’s chair is not covered with a white linen cover, oh no! For us that truly knew Rusty, this would have been far too pretensous.
The chair chosen for Rusty is big and cumbersome, carved from an old tree stump (Probably by his great grandfather) and on the seat a huge quilted cushion for his comfort, lovingly made by hand by his grandmother.
After all we want him to be comfortable as he will spend a while with us today.
I can feel the warmth of the sun on my face as I watch each of you arrive with your food for the banquet tables. Some folks are gathering in small groups and reminiscing of our times with Rusty over the years. Sadness slowly ebbs and there are the slight glimmers of laughter starting to rise up.
Rusty arrives and comes to greet each of us in turn. We hug like we never want to let go ever again and he gently tells us that all is well and that he has not left us just moved to a new location where the hunting and fishing are much better and he can glean as much food as he wants for canning. He joking says that we need to see his pantry now as it has never been so full and asks the inevitable question of how our pantry’s are looking these days.
I hear him say to a small group, that he sees they have been very busy canning, and checking with them that their wood supplies in order for the coming winter months.
To others he informs them that their gardens are looking good but he had noticed a few nasty weeds in the herb garden starting to pop up.
He turns to another guest and I hear him say, “Your front garden is coming along a treat my girl, and they have to be the best fed animals I have seen in a very long time my friend”.

As the sun shines down on us, I see Rusty has almost finished greeting everyone and be beckons to us all to be seated. His poor ears must be sore by now as we all ask him a million questions. Seems like some things will not change, even with time.
We all go and get ourselves seated. The tables are covered with all manner of foods and of course all Rusty’s favourites are there. There are pitchers of Iced Tea and fruit juices running the full length of the tables and dotted here and there are huge bowls of fruit picked freshly from the trees and vines, still warm from the sun. Bright bouquets of flowers adorn the tables and the smells from the flowers and the food are simply engulfing the entire area.
As we all seat ourselves we notice that at each place setting, we each find an envelope with our names embossed in gold lettering: Inside we find a letter which reads:

A Letter From Heaven
To my dearest family, some things I’d like to say.
But first of all, to let you know, that I arrived okay.
I'm writing this from heaven.
Here I dwell with God above.
Here, there’s no more tears of sadness;
Here is just eternal love.
Please do not be unhappy just because I'm out of sight.
Remember that I am with you every morning, noon and night.
That day I had to leave you when my life on earth was through.
God picked me up and hugged me and He said, I welcome you.
It’s good to have you back again; you were missed while you were gone.
As for your dearest family, they’ll be here later on.
I need you here so badly, you are part of my plan.
There is so much that we can do, to help our mortal man.
God gave me a list of things that he wished for me to do.
And foremost on the list, was to watch and care for you.
And when you lie in bed at night the day’s chores put to flight.
God and I are closest to you....in the middle of the night.
When you think of my life on earth, and all those loving years.
Because you are only human, they are bound to bring you tears.
But do not be afraid to cry; it does relieve the pain.
Remember there would be no flowers, unless there was some rain.
I wish that I could tell you all that God has planned.
If I were to tell you, you wouldn't understand.
But one thing is for certain, though my life on earth is over.
I'm closer to you now, than I ever was before.
There are rocky roads ahead of you and many hills to climb;
But together we can do it by taking one day at a time.
It was always my philosophy and I’d like it for you too;
That as you give unto the world, the world will give to you.
If you can help somebody who is in sorrow and pain;
then you can say to God at night....My day was not in vain.
And now I am contented... that my life was worthwhile.
Knowing as I passed along the way I made somebody smile.
So if you meet somebody who is sad and feeling low;
Just lend a hand to pick them up, as on your way you go.
When you're walking down the street and you've got me on your mind;
I'm walking in your footsteps only half a step behind.
And when it’s time for you to go...from that body to be free.
Remember you're not going...you're coming here to me.
Ruth Ann Mahaffey

Tears fill the meadow in a huge flood, but this time they are not tears of sorrow, for each of us is in the comfort of knowing that Rusty has, is and always will be looking out for us. Like he said, “He has not left us, just moved to a different location.”
As I have decided, for me at least, that this will be a full day’s celebration of Rusty’s life I have brought along food to last from morning till night, so enjoy.

My menu for the Banquet is as follows:
Breakfast:
Breakfast Sausages served with Canadian Bacon, eggs – Sunny side up of course, with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes and served with your choice of either Hot Chilli Sauce or Tomato Ketchup
Scones with your choice of Spiced Apple Butter or Gravy
Hotcakes with your choice of Blueberry, Strawberry or Maple Syrup
Lunch:
Grilled Elk Steak served with a selection of Potato Salad, Kim Chee and Coleslaw
Or
Crab Boil and  ChilliCornbread
Or
Venison Stew served with Twice baked Potatoes, Caramelised Carrots and Turnip Greens
Dinner:
Entrée
Crab Louis served on a bed of crisp lettuce leaves.
Or
Smoked salmon served in a crisp Pastry Shell and topped with Mayonnaise and chopped Chives.
Main Course
Chilli and Beans served with Cornbread and Scones
Or
Deep Fried Turkey with Cranberry Sauce, Green Beans, Roasted Potatoes, Honey Glazed Carrots and Pan Gravy
Or
Fried Barramundi with Diced Potatoes cooked in Bacon Grease and served with a Crisp Green Salad
Dessert:
Apple Crisp served with a selection of Homemade Ice Creams and Cinnamon Whipped Cream
Or
Strawberry or Blueberry Cheesecake Served with Vanilla Ice Cream
Or
Hotcakes served with Maple Syrup and Vanilla and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
After Dinner Nibbles:
Saltines served with a Selection of Smoked Fish and Canned Salmon
Triangle Toasts Topped with grilled Cheese and Chopped Onion
Cheese Platter served with a Variety of Cheeses, Pickles and selected Fruits
All will be served with Tea, Coffee or Fruit Juice
The entire menu will be available all day long for your enjoyment.
Please enjoy and celebrate this time with us all, gathered here in one place, at one time to honour our dear friend!
For those that so wish it. High Balls will be served behind the old Oak tree, down by the river.
Everyone dines talks, reminisces and laughs as we each remember our times with our honoured guest, Rusty. As the sun slowly starts to set behind the mountains, some people have wandered down to the river and have one last drink with Rusty, while others toss a line into the cool flowing waters in hopes of catching a fish or two to take home. We see that Rusty has well and truly rubbed off on a few of us.
As the sun finally sets and the light fades, the moon rises to bring a new light to our banquet area. For some reason tonight the stars are shining far brighter than they have this past 4 years. Candles are lit and the calmness and warmth are evident all around us. People are still milling around the tables, some seated, some standing and all nibbling now and then on the remaining food as the light from the candles flickers on the faces of everyone present.
Our day together has been inreal. We have met with people that we would otherwise not have seen. We have dined among friends and the day has been filled with stories and recipe exchanges and catch ups on what we have all been doing. We have visited with our dear, dear friend one last time and will leave this place, not with heavy hearts, but with the reminder of who Rusty was and what he has done for each and every one of us.
For those of us that knew Rusty, he has touched our hearts enormously. For some, he expanded their food and recipe knowledge or taught them something new. For others he has brought a smile to their faces when they were down or comforted them in the loss of a loved one. For my family and myself, Rusty never forgot a holiday, a birthday or an anniversary. He scolded me if I needed it but most importantly he made me proud to be who I am.
Rusty had the ability to change lives and it was always up to US, if we decided to take what he said on board and run with it as he would say, or be one of the folks that just stuck his files into their own files and eventually went, that is too hard, or I don’t have the time.
I for one, have run with it whole heartedly, and even though I ran into a brick wall so to speak 3 years ago, as soon as I am healed I will continue to run with what I personally learned from Rusty. I have chosen to be one of Rusty’s living legacies and pass on to others what he passed on to me. And this is how the Academy will be born.
As this day closes so another will open for us. We depart here today with our hearts filled not with sorrow but the love and joy we shared with Rusty through the years.
Oh, and a quick message from Rusty:
Wrecking Crew—don’t forget to take the leftovers home to can up and fill those pantry’s up. You know how much I hate to see good food go to waste. You should all have your supplies of Camp Spice to perk things up if needed so roll those sleeves up, put that apron on and get to it.


 Rest In Peace My Dearest Friend
You will never be forgotten
Memories In The Heart
Feel no guilt in laughter, he knows how much you care
Feel no sorrow in a smile that he's not here to share
You cannot grieve forever, he would not want you to
He'd hope that you can carry on, the way you always do
So talk about the good times and the ways you showed you cared
The days you spent together, all the happiness you shared
Let memories surround you.
A word someone may say
Will suddenly recapture a time, an hour, a day
That brings him back as clearly as though he were still here
And fills you with the feelings that he is always near
For if you keep these moments, you will never be apart
And he will live forever locked safe within your heart
Author Unknown

I Do Not Think My Song Will End
I do not think my song will end
While flowers, grass and trees
Abound with birds and butterflies
For I am one with these.
And I believe my voice will sound
Upon the whispering wind
So long as even one remains
Among those I call "friend."
I shall remain in hearts and minds
Of loved ones that I knew,
And in the rocks and hills and streams
Because I love those, too.
So long as love and hope and dreams
Abide in earth and sky,
Weep not for me, though I be gone.
I shall not really die.
Johnny Hathcock

Comments

Popular Posts