One Egg Cake



One Egg Cake 
A guest post today -
Another recipe from my Mom's recipe box. I ate this many times growing up.
Hugs,
Sandy              

One Egg Cake
2 cups flour -- all purpose
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg -- beaten
¾ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
use an 8 x 8 pan
Heat oven to 350oF and cook for 50 minutes Or... heat oven to 375oF and cook for 25 minutes
Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Beat sugar and butter together until well mixed and light in colour and fluffy. Add egg and mix well. Add milk and flour mixture alternately until flour is mixed in, careful not to over mix. Stir in vanilla. Place in greased and floured pan and bake. Test with a tooth pick for doneness. Cake should be pulling away from sides of pan slightly and spring back when touched. Please note, the instructions on how to mix are added by myself, as many of these recipes do not include them. I believe it was assumed that you should know how to do these things in this era. In my opinion, this is much tastier than a box cake mix and just as easy to do. I've made it to serve with strawberries in the spring many times. It's also good with a quick lemon sauce.
Description:
  "good to serve with fruit"
NOTES : Best served warm
My 2 cents worth: You can add other flavourings to this cake also such as coffee or cocoa. My favourite is to substitute the milk for fruit juice, in this case crushed and strained raspberries with 1 tablespoon of cocoa added to the mixture before baking.
Photo credit Peta Hopkins
Shared by Sandy 

My hearty thanks go to Sandy for sharing this old time favourite with me so that I could in turn share it with my wonderful readers here.

What is your favourite old fashioned or not, cake that you love to bake for your family? What flavour combinations do you love?

Comments

Popular Posts